The bathroom though seen by some as a place for refreshing and quick privacy could be one of the most dangerous rooms for the elderly and small children. Falls in the bathrooms could cause injuries such as head injuries, fractures etc. listed below is a checklist of ways to make your bathroom safer:
- Ensure adequate lighting. Accidents often happen in dark bathrooms.
- Make sure things like toilet paper holders, towel racks are attached firmly. Nothing should be loose.
- Install grab bars next to the showers, toilets, bathtubs. They help with balance, as they can be held on to if you slip.
- Make your bathroom floors skid-proof. Use rugs with rubber backs for your floors
- Place electrical appliances away from water.
- Be sure that cabinets containing medication, cleaning products, chemicals are out of the reach of children.
- Install an adjustable shower head. This is easier to maneuver if need be and can help minimize movement in the bathroom.