Viewers discretion advised
Burns are often caused as a result of contact with heat, radiation, electricity, chemicals or a freezing cold surface. The longer the burn is left uncooled, the more severe it will become.
Priority is to cool the burn.
- Cool the injury site with cold running water for at least 10 minutes.
- Do not use ice. -Do not apply any creams or lotions. -Do not burst any blisters.
- Do not remove the burnt clothing at this time.
- Remove any restricting items such as jewelry, watches, belts etc before the area starts to swell.
When to obtain medical assistance:
- If the burn is severe (caused by high voltage) call the emergency number.
- If the burns is caused by chemicals.
- If smoke or fumes have been inhaled.
- If the casualty is going into shock.
- If the victim is a child or an elderly person.